Book Tickets Easier — UX Case Study From Airasia Super App

Airasia Super App was released on 8 October 2020 as the ‘new face’ of Airasia. This launch also marked the transformation of Airasia from a digital airlines to a comprehensive platform with 15 lines of products and services under three main pillars, which are traveled, e-commerce and fintech.

Since the launching last October, we have seen this app still need improvement and pain points still found out.

Therefore, I and my team decided to research and redesign Airasia Supper App, in order to help the user solve their pain points.

Project Plan

In this project we used the design sprint with scrum method which was carried out for two weeks.

We divided it into several stages. First, emphatizing by researching the pain points. The next stage, defining the problem. We also created the prototype and scenario for users at the next stages. Till the end of the stage, we carried out usability testings and documented them in the feedback diagram.

Empathizing users

Well in the first time of our project, we started by finding the pain points of user in using Airasia Super App. Then, we were doing reserach by exploring the app ourselves. We found out some difficulties with the interface and the flow when we used some products. After that, we wrote them to discuss together with the team.

After the first step had been done, we tried to empathize by researching the user review. We did this research in order to know where the most difficulties from users are. We looked for what user need by seeing the review from App Store and Play Store.

And here it is what we collected some of them.

After we did the team discussion related to what solution we should give to the users. The things we highlighted and later being our project are the flow for purchasing the flight tickets.

Defining the problem

Well after found out the main points and flow that we would give the solutions in the previous, we started to pick the main of the mains to be our concern.

Persona

To give you an overview what kind of our users’ pain points, hereby we attached persona which consists of the biography, goals, frustations and the demography.

Customer Journey Mapping

After knowing about David, let see what is his journey when using Airasia Super App.

From David’s journey when he wanted to book a flight, we saw some difficulties occured. Therefore, we prepared the ideas and solutions for the redesign. Which are:

  • Consistencing UI, so it does not like open browser inside application.
  • Giving detailed information in the application about promos that can be used.
  • Giving option for one-way or round trip in search flight page.
  • Giving the previous price before user filled the promo code.
  • Adding more options for payment.
  • Simplified the payment flow.

Ideating the solution

Flowchart

Starting this stage by concepting the flow plan to inform our design and show how the features will be implemented

Prototyping the ideas

Yash, this is the Hi-Fidelity of our new screens from the user flow

Testing the prototypes

Wohoo!! Our prototypes were successfully created. Then, we began combining the userflow and prepared for the usability testing. In this project, we planned to do usability testing twice with five different respondents for each testing. Before the testing started, we defined what is the objective and what is the scenario and task which user should do in the test.

What is our objective in this testing? Make the purchasing of flight tickets from Airasia Super App easier. However for the target users, we choose for them who are Airasia Super App’s users and users for other OTA (Online Travel Agents).

Fortunatelty during the test, we were helped by Maze to see our user’s behaviour and how long the time for users finishing their tasks. However, not only about asking their opinion about our prototypes, we also gave them System Usability Scale (SUS) that users had to fill to know how succesfull of our plan was. Besides, we also determined the key metrics of effectiveness, time based efficiency and overall relatives efficiency.

And this is our first usability testing result:

We got score 85 for our first usability testing and of course many ideas appeared there.

After the first usability testing were done, I discussed with the team which ideas should be added in our prorotypes and which part in the prototypes should be improved. However after the iteration process, we started to do the second usability with different users.

And this is the result:

For the second one, we got score 84 and after the iteration we still had improvements for our prototypes.

However, our final prototypes can be seen and demonstrated by click this.

That’s all about the process of the redesign Airasia Super App. Based on our idea and discussion we tried to give our best solution of the users’ pain points.

We are group consist of four incredible team members:

  • Product Manager is me, Muhammad Arief Satrio
  • Dila Aqiila Diasputri as the Scrum Master
  • M Dzaky Waly Andarwa as the team member and responsible in the reserach field
  • Rendy Gunawan as the team member and responsible in the design field.

UI/UX enthusiast